Friday 17 February 2012

Introduction to the Archivist

As the archivist appointed to work on North East Coast Town Revealed: Hull’s Second World War Records, I would like to introduce myself.  My name is Victoria and I have previously worked at Durham County Record Office where I catalogued records of the Durham Light Infantry.  This collection spans many wars from the 1800s to the 1960s, with a substantial number of records relating to soldiers in the First and Second World Wars.

I am therefore pleased to have been given this opportunity to build on my experience and work with records from the Home Front and to learn about the experiences of Hull during the Second World War.  In cataloguing these records I hope to bring them to a wider audience by increasing their accessibility and revealing stories of endurance of the city and its people. 

My first steps have been to start going through the numerous personnel cards for the Warden Service and sorting them for the mammoth, but hugely beneficial, task of indexing the names.  We will shortly be putting out a call for volunteers to help us in this so keep checking back for further information.

Victoria Oxberry, Project Archivist, Hull City Archives at Hull History Centre

No comments:

Post a Comment